This week, let’s enjoy some biscuits and gravy. Mm… Biscuits… Gravy… AND vegan? Yes! The best part is there’s no waiting for the biscuits to rise!! Just mix and bake! How absolutely amazing is that?
I love warm, fresh bread, but I do hate the yeast part. So much waiting that I just don’t want to do. Finally, a recipe that skips that part! Do the happy dance. I won’t judge.
First, let me debunk a popular belief: not all vegan food is salad and nuts. Girl Guide’s honor! I eat all sorts of other things and I love comfort food as much as the next person. Sometimes, I just want me some biscuits and gravy! Which is what I’m making tonight. I’m already drooling…
Can’t make these now? Pin this image to save it for later!
Start with the biscuits. No waiting, as promised. Mix all the dry ingredients first then add the wet ones and mix again. I use the kneading hook that came with my stand mixer, but you could probably just get in there and use your hands if you don’t have one.
Once everything is properly mixed, separate the ball of dough in half. Then separate the two balls into four and the four balls into eight. Place them evenly on a greased pan and pop them in the oven. Wait fifteen minutes, and that’s it! They truly are quick and easy to make.
Mmmmm… Doesn’t that look lovely? Hot biscuits fresh from the oven!
Now, to make the gravy, you need vegetable broth. You can buy it, or make your own. I personally prefer using homemade broth mix over store bought, but it’s truly up to you. Here’s an awesome broth recipe that I use all the time.
You probably already have all the spices needed to make it, except maybe the nutritional yeast, but you’ll definitely want to get some. It’s a vegan staple! I buy mine at my local health store. A bag will last you a long time (lasted me almost a year).
Start by combining the broth mix, water, and Soya sauce in a small pot. Bring to a simmer. I very much love mushrooms and add them here, but that’s optional.
Once the sauce is simmering, combine the cornstarch and a little water together before adding them to the pot. Once thickened, it’s ready to serve. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy!
Serve with your biscuits and enjoy <3
No Rise, Soft, Savory Vegan Biscuits and Gravy
Make your very own vegan biscuits with all the flavor and softness and without the wait or animal products!
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 25 mins
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 cup Soy Milk
- 1/4 cup Vegan Margarine or Vegan Butter
- 1 cup Water
- 1 tbsp Vegan Broth Mix
- 2 tbsp Soya Sauce
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch
- 2 tbsp Water
- 1 cup Mushrooms *optional
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- Add milk and margarine.
- Knead the ingredients together.
- Separate dough into 8 portions (dusting your hands with some flour can help you do this without getting dough stuck to your fingers)
- Place on a greased cookie sheet and pop them into the oven for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Prepare gravy.
- Set stove burner to medium heat. In a small pot, add 1 cup water, 1 tablespoon broth mix, and 2 tablespoons soy sauce. Bring to a simmer. **If using store bought veggie broth mix, follow instructions on container for 1 cup of broth.
- Add your mushrooms if you are using them.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch and 2 tbsp water until cornstarch is fully dissolved.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the pot, stirring quickly (if not whisked quickly and well, the cornstarch mix will create chewy lumps). **If you used store bought broth, I recommend adding a tablespoon of nutritional yeast.
- Remove from heat and serve with biscuits.